About Me

My photo
Hi, thank you for checking out my blog, on here I post my own photos and write about trends I am observing within VM, also anything that interests me and most recently adding photos of things I buy. I am a recent graduate having studied Fashion Marketing and Communication at Nottingham Trent University and work as a visual merchandising manager...Please if you wish feel free to follow my blog or contact me.

Sunday, 16 May 2010

Shop Watch: London

Thursday I was down in London, and I had a chance to get snappy happy along oxford street and carnaby street. I spotted some exciting visual merchandising working the current display trends. See below:

Topshop:



Topshop Oxford Street are working multiple trends, from global traveller - with animal prints, aztec patterns and raffia bags. The cut-out trend I spotted last summer is a big design influence at Topshop, as can be seen from the swimsuit, to cover ups - this shall stay strong for A\W - for a 90s grunge look. Denim of course is huge this season and has taken prize position in their windows, with denim shorts and jackets. Kahi green, nude, pale pinks, tan and cream are the dominant hues. Styling is layered, they have used headscarves, tie-up sandals, sunglasses, clogs, wedge strapped heels and tan leather bags.

Urban Outfitters: Last summer I noticed the use of banners, in-stores and at Top Drawer. Urban Outfitter has now created an eye-catching and colourful window, with the simple idea of using lots of streams of banners, which I believe to be very effective.

H&M:

H&M have taken on the current tropical Brazilian trend as I call it. Using bright vibrant colours and patterns of tropical leaves, animal print and flowers/birds. I particularly like the added touch of the headscarves and chunky ethnic jewellery. The washline in the background is an added way of getting more merchandise in the window.
Diesel: Taking on the same tropical trend in a different manner, Diesel had flower arrangements on mannequins heads. Nude colours and distressed denim were the prominant trends here.

Liberty:


When ever I am in London, I always stop by Libery, here on their large poster they currently are tapping into the Alice and Wonderland trend, using large props that make up a tea party. From the out-of-scale teapot, cake stand and cupcake. The step-ladder also taps into the current trend for the prop. As for the side window, Liberty have cleverly used the current growing rural trend I am spotting, use a floral bicycle, wicker baskets and a white country sign.
Carnaby Street:




Some other trends that were apparent in London's windows were: the illustration trend, which is still going strong, the use of suitcases/the idea of travelling, bicycles, grass, items hanging from chains and hooks, denim, florals and stripes.
All own photos

No comments:

Post a Comment